ALL PROGRESSIVES CONGRESS
OUR PRIMARY ELECTION FOR IMO NORTH SENATORIAL BYE ELECTION WAS ORDERLY, TRANSPARENT AND CREDIBLE
…AS HON. SIR. FRANK IBEZIM EMERGED VICTORIOUS AS THE CANDIDATE OF THE PARTY
The All Progressives Congress, APC, Imo State chapter has read, once again, a very laughable but bizarre concoction, deliberately fabricated by notorious desperados in the state with untamed political ambitions, to discredit the outcome of the most free, fair and credible primary election of our party.
We are not unmindful of the fact, that it is the handiwork of undisciplined and unscrupulous persons, whose stock in trade is to create unnecessary political tension and irritating nuisance in any political platform they found themselves, but it is however unfortunate and incredible that such mischievous story could find its way into a revered newspaper like The Nation.
Though worthless and obviously inconsequential as the story is, but coming from a newspaper like The Nation, throwing away its hard earned reputation of professionalism for whatever consideration, it becomes necessary for the party to set the records straight for clarification purposes and the benefit of unsuspecting members of the public, hence, we state as follows:
- That there is no controversy of any kind trailing the conduct and out come of the APC primary for the forthcoming Imo North senatorial district bye election, as erroneously reported in The Nation of its Sunday, 6th September, 2020 edition. What we have is a mere demonstration of habitual act of political gangsters. Their antecedents are well documented in the public domain.
- That Senator Ifeanyi Godwin Ararume is not the candidate of the All Progressives Congress, APC, for the forthcoming Imo North senatorial bye election as purportedly claimed in the said publication.
- That there was a free, fair and credible contest among the 11 aspirants, HON. FRANK IBEZIM, who pulled a total of 13, 687 votes to defeat other contestants including Senator Ararume, who came a distant 3rd position with 2,708 votes, behind Hon. Mathew Omegara with 2,826 votes, emerged victorious, and was duly returned as candidate of the party by the Election Panel led by Senator Surajudeen Ajibola Bisuriu.
- That we have no record of any parallel primary of our party anywhere across the 64 political wards of Imo North senatorial district (Okigwe zone), as we witnessed a most free, fair, transparent and hintch-free exercise supervised by the National Election Panel led by Senator Bisuriu and monitored by officials of Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and other relevant security agencies.
- While the party frowned at the level of unwarranted fabrication of falsehood to bring the party into contempt and public opprobrium, we wish to remind those responsible to desist forthwith, as the party will no further tolerate any act of anti-party related activity, indiscipline or violation of any relevant provision of the party’s constitution. This serves as a last warning, as appropriate disciplinary actions will be taken against anyone found culpable, no matter how highly placed.
- Finally, we wish to call on members of the party and the reading public to disregard in its entirety the misleading publication from The Nation Newspaper, as it is outrightly unfounded, mischievous and misleading. While we advise The Nation to always abide by the ethics of journalism profession, and as the Rotary Club would say, “Always cross-check your facts for balance”.
APC, Imo State.